Clicking noise and bleeping at start up

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Barefoot_Wanderer
Passat model: B6

Clicking noise and bleeping at start up

Post by Barefoot_Wanderer »

Hi All,

I have a 2008 B6 Passat 1.9 TDI and when I press the fob in to start the engine sometimes the starter seems to struggle and there is a clicking noise AND a bleeping (like a computer bleeps at start up), like a "bleep-bleep-bleep".

I replaced the starter motor thinking it was that but the problem is starting again only less frequently, but it's exactly the same, starter struggles then the bleeping. When the starter was first installed it was really fresh sounding and turned over without hesitation but has gradually declined, however, this is intermittent - sometimes it sounds fresh again.

I'm going to check how old the battery is do you think it could be battery related or more serious - ecu or other electrical?

My mechanic friend tells me it could be a relay for the starter motor (your thoughts on this would be helpful also).

I've just had a look at the battery and the battery health indicator is clear which would indicate the electrolyte is low according to Google. I've tested the battery with a multimeter and it reads 12.4v and with engine running 14.6v. BUT the battery is 2008 (according to the negative terminal). Think I might replace the battery!

Help is appreciated,

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login