Smokey Passat B6 / Engine Coolant Level

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

nick.king
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

Smokey Passat B6 / Engine Coolant Level

Post by nick.king »

Evening all,

I've had a lot of work done on my B6 over the last year, work I wouldn't have had done knowing how much it would eventually cost but I was already balls deep and there was no turning back. Just for the purpose of this post it's had a new turbo, timing belt, water pump. egr valve, throttle body, various sensors, DPF, the standard plastic BMR manifold swapped out for the metal BKR version, oil pipe and a vac pump just to rule any of those things out.

I've not driven it much over the last year either due to working from home and was up and down the motorway every day before COVID. I've noticed on start-up and when idling there seems to be an awful lot of smoke, when driving it goes away, but if I'm sat at traffic lights etc. for a while I see a lot of smoke again from the rear. This isn't a new problem but it seems to be more frequent but I'm having to top up the engine coolant almost every time I use the car now (once a week) where as it was once every few weeks before.

I found this thread (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=84960) I can see it was asked ref engine coolant so I was wondering if they are related and where to start?

I'm also suffering from a lumpy idle as per in the above thread (although not all the time and I can't pin point as to exactly what causes it). The solution to the thread I've posted appears to be a remap and the garage(s) who did all the above work on mine suggested my car was remapped hence the DPF failing. I've owned the car for near on 10 years and I've never had it mapped.

My car is a 2007 VW Passat 170 TDI Sport Estate and it has 186k on the clock, up until the last year it hasn't caused me many problems.

Just looking at where to start, a remap is about £250 I understand, is that the best starting point or should I first sort the coolant leak?

Many thanks in advance.

Nick.
Last edited by nick.king on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 12 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login