Passat B6 or B7 or CC MDI + Bluetooth Upgrade/retrofit (ipod

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

airs
Passat model: b6 / cc

Passat B6 or B7 or CC MDI + Bluetooth Upgrade/retrofit (ipod

Post by airs »

Hey guys this is my first post on the forum after recently becoming an owner of this 58 reg Passat CC, so i thought i'd make it a useful 1 :)

My CC didn't come with the factory installed MDI or bluetooth, so i decided to retrofit 1.

So first off i scoured the internet trying to find what i needed and i came across a guy on the mk5 GTI forum that has been selling them to those guys for a while, so i spoke to him a he sorted me out with the kit i required (minus a couple of parts that will be explained further down :) ) link below

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index ... eniftdsmt1

My kit turned up in a very well packaged box containing genuine brand new parts which was great, so i set about the task of fitting them.

Step 1: Removing the headunit.
Firstly you will need to remove headunit, quite and easy task, gently pull on the bottom of the radio surround to release the spring clips holding it in place, their are 4 in total, then unclip the small airbag light plug (DO NOT SWITCH IGNITION BACK ON WHILE THIS IS UNPLUGGED OR YOUR AIRBAG LIGHT WILL COME ON ON YOUR DASH CLUSTER) then release the 4 T20 torx screws the hold in the radio and then wiggle it out and unplug.

Step 2: Remove the glovebox
Their are 7 T20 torx screws to release the glovebox, 2 are slightly hidden inside the top of the glovebox but they are easily found with a little feel about. Once all of the screws are removed their is 1 small plastic lug that can be released to let the glovebox come free, use a small flat bladed screwdriver into this square hole and it will release (see picture below for location)

Once it's all released unplug all of the surrounding plugs on the glovebox i.e light, airbag plug etc. then remove the glovebox from the car.

Step 3: fitting the MDI cage
On my glovebox and most likely anybody else who is doing this mod, my drop down box inside of the glovebox was used to hold the manuals from the dealership. I needed to remove this in order to fit my MDI holder.

You will need this part number for the MDi storage box which is 3C2 857 285 C

Or if you are lucky enough to find a cheap B7 glovebox with this in like i was thats good too :)

Firstly unclip the box and remove the manuals and leave the box open, next you will need to release the box to let it drop lower, slightly pull sideways on the box to release it past these 2 stoppers

Then on the rear of the glovebox you will see 2 small plastic pins, you will need to pop these out to completely release the box, i am normally quite hamfisted and break things but these where fairly easy to remove, you can get new pins though if 1 breaks, will update with part numbers when i can :)

1 is hidden just out of sight in the square hole

Once removed it should become loose and easy to remove., then do this in reverse to refit the new unit,

!!! DO NOT CLIP IN THE MDI MODULE AT THIS POINT OR YOU WILL NEED TO RELEASE IT TO PLUG THE WIRING IN ONCE INSTALLED !!!

Step 4: Wiring harness
These is a fairly easy step as it is a plug and play job so NO CUTTING OF ANY WIRES IS REQUIRED,
On the wiring harness i have fitted it has the provision for the MDI and the Bluetooth module, so i ran the MDI wiring to the glovebox side and the bluetooth wiring across under the steering wheel column and it will eventually be located under the drivers seat with the module once i order it, the microphone that was supplied with the kit is also fitted up into the standard position which is up inside of the interior light and runs down the A pillar then to the new harness.

Step 5: Refitting the glovebox.
So now its onto refitting the glovebox, remember to connect all the relevant wires back on i.e glovebox light, airbag switch etc and the slide in the wire for the MDI into the holder and clip the wire into the module and slide it into place for the final time, then its time to screw it all back up into place and that side of it is done.

Step 6: Refitting the radio
Refitting the radio is slightly more tricky than removing it as their are a few more wires in place now. I managed to slide these down behind the climate control unit where their is some spare space, BE CAREFUL NOT TO PULL ONTHE PLUGS TO HARD INCASE YOU DAMAGE THEM then refit the radio once all is located in a safe suitable position.

Step 7: Coding with VagCom
You will need to active your radio to recognise that the MDI unit is plugged in,
Open controller 19 - Gateway > then tick box 2E media player 3 > exit controller and save coding. This should now have activated your MDI unit and should work controlling your headunit or steering wheel via the buttons ( if installed on your car )

This should be the install fully completed and working with whichever device you are using i.e ipod/USB stick etc..

I hope this guide is of some use to someone at least, thanks guys and all comments, opinions or suggestions are welcome :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login