Which tyres

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

woodentop
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

Which tyres

Post by woodentop »

As some will have already seen I have just acquired a 58 plate Passat 2.0L TDi 140 CR SE estate and there are still things I need to know.

The car has done 58K (nothing to a VAG) and has four different tyres on it (all 235/45R17 of course) - a Toyo, an Arrowspeed, a Pirelli, another as yet unidentified, with a used Pirelli spare. This suggests that Pirelli might have been original fit.

Does anyone have thoughts on which tyre to go for? My personal preference would be Michelin Primacy which I have always found to be low noise, good grip, and incredibly long lasting, but it may be that they don't suit the Passat. I don't want to lash out the better part of 600 notes to (over time) find they don't work well on this car. Given that driving on a smooth road (the A1(M) near Ferrybridge) the only noise was tyre roar and wind around the door mirrors I would have to say my priority would be lowest noise and a smooth nay softish ride combined with the ability to handle to load of towing a caravan.

Second and last, can anyone tell me how the alarm works and how I can check it? Short of opening the car with the plastic key to set the alarm off there seems to be now other way of telling whether or not it is working. Also, are there versions with and without ultrasonics for the alarm as I'll be blowed if I can find 'em.

TIA.

Woody
N Yorks.

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login