knocking noise

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

terence6r
B3
Passat model: b6

knocking noise

Post by terence6r »

Hopefully, one of you knowledgeable gents/ladies will be able to come up with a suggestion her, as I am a tad baffled. Earlier this year, I had all the front suspension replaced on my 55 plate 1.9 tdi. This included top mounts, dampers, springs, and drop links, and all for brand new stuff. All was fine. Drove 750 miles to France, and no issues. Where the car was parked in France, I had to drive off a 4" curb, which I did on several occasions and no issues. However, on the 2nd to last day, I drove off the curb, gently, and there was a clunk. After that, every bump in the road, sounded like the NS front had a jack hammer going off. There were no issues driving home, apart from the knock on uneven roads. Fortunately, motorways in France are very smooth, so very little knocking.
I jacked the car up yesterday, and placed it on axel stands both sides, thinking it may be bottom ball joints, but checked these using the "Ed China" method, and all appears fine. Checked the gear box mount, and it is fine. Replaced the wheels, and dropped it back on to it's wheels. The knock is still there, but vastly improved. I am, to say the least, baffled. Any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated. Cheers
2005 b6 1.9 tdi 105 bhp, and 2003 b5.5 130 tdi SE.

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login