What Should I be Looking to Buy a Passat Diesel?

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, desertstorm, vwnutant

sjdean
B1
Passat model: B6

What Should I be Looking to Buy a Passat Diesel?

Post by sjdean »

Im looking at getting a Passat B6 TDI of some description. A 2.0, 140 BHP I think. I looked for one last year and found an immaculate one for £6k. Kicking myself I didn't go for it because it was fully loaded with everything I wanted. Another year old and another year wiser though and er, the used car market in the UK seems to have gone down hill!

My Nissan Primera P11-144 1.8 Petrol is still going strong. Just had a new section of exhaust fitted. But thankfully, I think the PAS pump is on the way out, I think there's a wheel bearing grumble, and I need some balancing and tracking done. Flaming thing won't die!

I saw a 57 plate VW Passat with 60k on the clock. SE Model, front fog lights, no Climate Control and dent and stone chips in the driver door. I looked at a 170BHP Sport model, 09 plate, 77k but that had a dented wheel arch, swirls on the paintwork from overzealous polishing. the shroud for the door mirror was ill fitting, the front wing had been swapped and was badly colour matched, and two tyres were badly scuffed. Something seemed off and that was going for £7k!

I've seen seen three at the Black Horse Car Sales and saw three 09's, all highline, all heated seats and leather but no fog lights, no climate control to any.

The first was 110BHP, 67k on the clock, full height touch screen radio and media connectivity (ipod?). But then there was a gaping hole in the drivers door trim - for £8300! The second was £9500, about 55k on the clock, 170bhp, chicago(?) wheels, and this one had a cracked chrome insert on the rear bumper. The third had a half height touch screen radio, 140BHP, heated front screen though - possible some damage to the drivers door and the bit of plastic trim appears to be hanging off. Supposed to be being repaired, 69k miles.

Disappointed with the last three because they're all advertised as having Climate Control.
Are those prices reasonable? Or should I expect no body work faults apart from the odd scratch?

They seem expensive to me, but they seem expensive from the point of view the other cars were awful!

Can the chrome insert be easily changed? Im tempted to go for the 170 model and fit the media connectivity pack to it. If possible.

I don't see too many of the digital climate controls anymore. Are the rotary ones still climate control, or are they just analogue with a different shaped button?

As to what Im looking for, let me know if this is reasonable...
  • CR Engine - I figure with the horror stories regarding the PD engine, I should go for the CR. I understand the concensus is that there are no injector problems, the problem is with the HPFP. Though some have suggested it is the ceramic discs in the piezo injector possibly caused by water or gas in the tank. But the concensus is it may have only affected a certain number of vehicles due to a faulty batch of HPFP's and if the problem was going to occur, it would have occurred by now....
  • 140BHP engine - should give a compromise between performance and economy. Not to mention additional savings on insurance. Im not concvinced the 110BHP is going to be gutsy enough.
  • MFD - I want one of those full height ones that can do a myriad of things - I understand the Highline+ version adds more features (including Bluetooth? or is that an option?)
  • Climate Control - Can't live without air conditioning (that's an exaggeration - but it is greatly desired and greatly used, and a working climate control would be very useful and look the part - I like buttons)
  • iPod interface - I would use this all the time. Provided it can allow me to scroll through my 1000 artists.... or at least allow me to go into random mode and pick up a playlist.
  • Fog Lights - I virtually never use these, but I do think they make the car look so much better. So for aesthetic reasons, that's in here.
  • Parking Sensors - I would definitely use these as I can never judge the distance out the back, even in my hatchback. But I'd prefer the Fog Lights over Parking sensors as I've lived without them for that long and actually Fog Lights have come in useful when it's been chucking down and I can virtually not see with my poor Xenon bulbs.
  • Heated Screen - Would be useful in winter, but can live without.
  • Cruise Control - Actually not sure I'd ever user it due to crabby motorways.
What trim level am I looking for in the 09+? Or am I unduly writing off the PD engines? And where should I look for a reasonably priced car, that I don't have to haggle, and that hasn't been battered and bruised?

Simon

This topic has 21 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login