1.6 TDI V 2.0TDI

VW have now released there NEW passat range. Please add any technical know how or info into here. NO FOR SALE/PARTS/TALK here..

Moderators: water01, desertstorm, vwnutant

hwang2000
B5.5
Passat model: b7

1.6 TDI V 2.0TDI

Post by hwang2000 »

I have just had a week and 600 miles driving a 2.0l B7 passat. while my 1.6L was getting a new bumper at VW as a tube drove into the back of me while I was stationary.

Both cars were same year and model the SE saloon. So only the engine was diffrent. So here is what I noticed.

When I picked the car up the 2.0l was firmer on the road, so I checked the tyre pressures and they were all high and pushing 50lb. So I lowered them to the 36lb on the fuel cap. The 1.6L runs 32lb with the same tyres. This improved the ride, which made them equal.

The gearing of the 2.0l is taller for 4th gear. So at 30mph the engine is turning about 25-50rpm slower than the 1.6l. The 1.6L loves 30mph in 4th, while the 2.0L is rough and is better left in 3rd. Or just sit at 35mph and risk it for a biscuit.

The rest of the gears seem equal and 6th has the exact same rpm for 70mph. Lazy driving, which I do the most, in 6th from 1400rpm to 2,000rpm they are both slugs, the 2.0L has more torque, but it is not that much better at picking up speed. It is only really steep hills on the motorway that the 2.0L extra torque is noticable. in many ways there is so little in it between these engines.

MPG, shockingly I got the same mpg as the 1.6L, I would say the 2.0L settled down quicker to reading 50mpg than the 1.6l. Yet the 1.6L will be warm by 7 miles use, while the 2.0L is only at 70C. So this observation is a bit strange, at the end of the use the overall mpg was the same 54mpg. When I picked up the car it was showing 53mpg over 2400 miles. Could I squeeze more from the 2.0L given time, I really dont think so. perhaps if I put the tyres back to 50lb i would have :D

The worst thing about the 2.0L was it had a terrable heater. It took ages to warm up and was never as hot as the 1.6L. I cannot run mine at max all the time, where I could with the 2.0L. I asked my mate about his heater and warm up period and his is the same. He runs his at 3/4, while mine is left in the middle.

So what is the best to pick. Well that completly debatable. The 2.0L will always be that bit quicker when you need it to be. For general driving the 1.6L is its equal and at 30mph its better.

So it is all down to what you can afford, or your company will pay. As they both do the same mpg, forget thinking about the fuel saving, they both use the same fuel per mile. The 1.6l is £1100 cheaper, but I cannot see this gap increasing quickly. In fact it might stay the same as people will look more at the fake mpg figures and lower tax band than the engine size. It will be desirable.

I would have another 1.6L anyday, and was glad to get mine back. Welcome back to my 16gig USB music collection. I would have forgot it, had I put it in the hire car!

So it down to choice... better heater or slightly more grunt :hyst

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login