VW Passat 2003 1.9 TDI 155,000 miles engine: AWX, manual transmission. Timing belt tension indicator vibrating by 1 to 1

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

mikeote09
Passat model: B5.5

VW Passat 2003 1.9 TDI 155,000 miles engine: AWX, manual transmission. Timing belt tension indicator vibrating by 1 to 1

Post by mikeote09 »

Hey guys thanks for looking at my question,

VW Passat 2003 1.9 TDI 155,000 miles engine: AWX, manual transmission.

Timing belt tension indicator vibrating by 1 to 1.5mm. The indicator is located at the water pump as that's where the tension is sett. There is a little window and a pointer. You set the belt tension by putting pressure on a bolt on the water pump until the pointer is in the middle of the window, then tighten a bolt to hold it in place.

The pointer is vibrating left to right by about 1 to 1.5mm. Does this indicate a failing / failed harmonic balancer? Am I risking engine / transmission damage? It may hhave been doing this for tens of thousands of miles, I only noticed it after checking the timing belt tension which I haven't done in a long time.

Cheers!

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login