1st gear crunching

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Mr. P
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5

1st gear crunching

Post by Mr. P »

Hi all. A few weeks ago, the gearstick felt a bit odd, a bit like you were stirring porridge with it (best description I can think of), then it went back to normal. However, just this week 1st gear is crunching when you engage it, but not all the time.

I do try to engage first a bit more gently now because of it. (I was never rough with it anyway)

Do you think this is the beginning of the end for the gearbox, or is it likely to be something else?

I had the clutch replaced along with the actuating arm and rod, and slave cylinder about 4 years ago. Also the dual mass flywheel.

I don't know the make of the parts used but the independent I use doesn't believe in using low quality parts. The biting point hasn't changed, neither has the feel of it.

The car is a 2004 1.9 TDI with an AWX engine and 5 speed 'box, and it's done over 250k now.

Due to losing my job in August it doesn't do the long journeys it used to (90 miles a day), my new job is less than 2 miles away. Don't know if it could be that is what's killing it?

TIA for any advice.

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login