Rear ended :(

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

golddust
B3

Rear ended :(

Post by golddust »

It's just flipping typical!

My other half must subconciously have it in for my Passat as she's always getting it damaged!

This weekend whilst she was on her way to her Hen weekend she was at a junction in derby and an Astra with 4 teenagers drove into the back of the Passat :(

She phoned me up to tell me and said there was no damage to the Passat, I asked about his car and due to my towbar his radiator was gushing water all over the street. "Good!" I said.

She gets home and I check the car, what about the bumper I say...
turns out the rear bumper is squashed about 2 inches slimmer on the right hand side putting a big fold into it, paint peeling off and it's detached on the right side of the car. Plus tow electric point is bent.

I'm a bit pee'd off. SO, since the guy who hit us hasn't called as he said he would I call him, initially he "can't talk" so calls back and offers somebody elses name as the insured name on the car and no policy number etc.

I've called his insurers (Equity Red Star) who are a bunch of useless people.
So far 3 depts have had no working computers, plus they cannot do anything until he replies to a letter they'll now send him to confirm the accident details etc.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but by not notifying the police or his insurers of an accident within 24 hours hasn't the other party committed an offence?

Meanwhile I'm doing all the work to get the car fixed by getting quotes and doing all the phoning etc.

Damaged is gonna be at least new bumper, paint & fit, tow bar replace OR repair. Plus anything they discover under the bumper. Since it's a high mileage 97 car I wonder if they'll decide it's not worth fixing as I reckon the quote will be at least £500, probably more.

Thing is I don't want them to start making silly offers on the trade in value of £1600 as I cant afford to top up another £1000 to replace the car.

Rant over.
Passat No.3: 2001 B5.5 TDI Estate in metallic grey & 2005 Bora TDI Highline
================================
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

This topic has 18 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login