I'm one lucky bloke that nearly lost my car to a ford today

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: desertstorm, vwnutant, water01

Burnzybubbles
B7
Passat model: B5.5

I'm one lucky bloke that nearly lost my car to a ford today

Post by Burnzybubbles »

Went down a road with a ford (water type) earlier, I got to the ford in question and the depth guage said 1.5 ft so 18" isn't bad, well the depth stick was WAY!! Off I started to drive in and realised how deep it was, went to put it in reverse and it wouldn't select by this point I have half the car in the ford I'm stationary and it won't go into reverse, so I panicked and put it into first crossed my fingers and crawled through, the water started to go over the bonnet, I luckily kept the revs low just incase, got to the other side of the ford and it conked out half in the ford and front end out, I knew at this point I'd sucked water in as it didn't turn over, I tried to take the glow plugs out to empty the cylinders of any water but I didn't have my long 10mm socket with me, still panicking I tried to turn it over slowly compressing the water out, I know about hydro lock and bent rods but that is usually from high revs as it sucks the water up, also the compression a diesel is used to is very high and at turn over speed if its locked it just wont budge, and as it was ticking over when it died I was fairly confident that I wouldn't of bent anything, it died slowly it didn't just stop dead, I pulled the top intercooler hose off before the inlet, and kept trying to edge it, after 5 minutes I had it spinning over and it fired up straight away, let the engine clear what water was inside the cylinders and then gave it a bit of gas, the turbo span up and gushed a load of water out the intercooler I let it sit for 5 minutes idling, put the hose back on and drove it down the road, I got out checked the oil by the dipstick and filler cap and there was minimal amount of mayo, it drove fine so I took it for a long drive dOwn the motorway to dry it out, it's idling perfect still has all its power and the mayo evaporated and the oil is clear again

I think Iv gotten away with it beyond begged belief, I poo'pood myself when it happened, I'm gunna take all the inlet apart tommorow clean it out replace the filters and oil and run it though Vcds, fingers crossed I got away with just soaking wet feet and a heavily bruised ego :oops:

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login