Engine cover sound absorber

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: desertstorm, vwnutant, water01

aman23
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: b5.5

Engine cover sound absorber

Post by aman23 »

My sound absorbing foam that's joined under the engine cover has been deteriorating for the last few years. I took it off about a year ago and used double sided tape to get it back together. The foam is making a mess now so I decided to try this stuff on eBay:

I can hear a difference with the engine cover on so thought give it a go, the alternative was to take the whole lot off because I could not find any where that sold the original foam.

ImageImageImage

As you can see from the pictures it's fallen apart.
ImageImage
I cleaned the engine cover until I knew there was no grease or residue left on it. The glue from the double sided tape was too difficult to remove but it was still quite sticky.

The product I used was a lot thicker than the original VW stuff. I made sure it was fire retardant before I bought it just incase.

ImageImage

Pretty easy to cut, but had to do a few sections opposed to one large area. It would have been easier to make a template but I proceeded to cut straight around the different areas. There was plenty left over, enough to do the job again or use it somewhere else. The biggest issue of doing it again would be taking the foam off, the adhesive was super strong, I was surprised at how well it stuck down.

Nearly finished, just a few small pieces to do, I'm not sure what difference it's going to make if any, on the upside, it didn't cost much and I can clean the engine bay now.
Last edited by aman23 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 21 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login