Tyre Load+Speed ratings....

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Jo0Lz
B1
Passat model: B5.5 6spd 130bhp

Tyre Load+Speed ratings....

Post by Jo0Lz »

I've got myself some 17x7.5 steelies and I'm looking for tyres of size 225/45/17

One local tyre place I have been to for a quote on fitting+balance [considering I was looking at BlackCircles or TyreLeader for mail order myself] was raising questions about the load and speed rating that should be appropriate for a 130 sport estate

The guy pointed out that my car [as I bought it earlier this year] has the same size+make of tyres on all 4 corners but a different speed rating front to back?!!?
91W tyres on the back axle
91H tyres on the front [one of which blew out when I hit some debris on the M62 at the weekend!]

So that got me thinking....what load + speed rating of tyre should a 2003 Passat 130 sport estate have as standard?

All I know is that the full size spare wheel that looks totally un-used has a 205/55 ZR16 91W

So from this I presume I should aim to get 91W or better....
91 = 615Kgs
W = For vehicles having speed capability not exceeding 270 Km/h

But then those "H" speed rated front tyres should have been OK as well as that is
Speed Symbol "H" = For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 210 Km/h (130 Mph)

So what load+speed rating do others have on their 130 wagons?

ta
Jo0Lz

This topic has 17 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login