B2 Passat gls5

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Shack daddy
still on the production line
Passat model: B2

B2 Passat gls5

Post by Shack daddy »

Hello there my names Matt and I recently brought my Passat with bottom end knock and sat on cut springs, this is how I brought her,

I first set about getting red of those cut springs and replacing them with coilovers also replacing the front breaks with corrado g60 breaks green stuff pads and drilled/grooved disks.

I'm a lot happier with how she sits now :).

I then set about sorting the engine out after removing the sump and measuring the crank it showed that the crank was 1.7mm out of tolerances, after that the mission began to find a crank which was proving a struggle! Then my friend stumbled across an advert on e bay for a Passat and in the description said he also had a b2 Passat with the bottom end still in it, result. So after a two hour drive I was greeted by this sorry state.

The front of the car had been sat in a bush for 5 years so I had no idea if the internals of the bottom end would be any good, but by the time we got the engine out the misses was getting bored of waiting so no time to whip the sump off and have a look but for £25 it wouldn't be much of a loss if it was knacker'd. So I got the engine back and stripped it down.

All good crank and rods were spot on :).

Pulling out the old mashed crank

New crank and rod back in.

Engine all built back up.

Then there was just the inner cv joint to replace and front wheel bearing which unfortunately I have no pics of.
Its all mot'd and back on the road now!!!! Not bad for a carpenter. Sorry if the write up is a bit poo, but words seem to elude me when I try to write. Cheers for looking.

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login