.:R36 Estate

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

*AJ*
B7
Passat model: R36

.:R36 Estate

Post by *AJ* »

New car, New thread....

After 4 years of ownership of my 2.0 FSi passat B6 sport which I lovingly cared for and upgraded I decided I needed something with a little bit more power.

I started looking for an R36 about 18 months ago, wanting a Biscay Blue Wagon rather than a saloon. I soon realised my search wasn't going to be easy. I have seen a few lovely saloons come up for sale over the period I was looking, but I was determined to hold out for a wagon (I still liked my B6 wasn't in a rush at all).

One came up about 6 months ago now, but it had 99K on the clock and looked like it had a hard life, I didn't even call the seller of that one as it was around £12k which seemed a lot for the mileage/condition, yet it still sold within a matter of days.

Then on a Sunday night, 3 weeks ago I just happened to be on eBay when a Biscay Blue Wagon came up in my search... 44K, one owner from new, just had DSG & Haldex service at VW. It looked to tick all the boxes and it was only £10K. I immediately contacted the seller who was only 15 miles from me. Unfortunately he said it had just sold, he had already received the payment and the buyer hadn't even seen the car. Gutted!

I realised that this must have been a trader doing a deal like that, so kept my eyes peeled for the next few days... sure enough, up it came, now in London at £14K.

After I got over the fact that the dealer was making so much profit from me, I headed down for a test drive, fell in love and paid my deposit.

The car was on a private plate from the previous owner, but after doing an HPI check, it turns out that this one was a press release car, OY08 AAJ that was sent out to the mags and Fifth Gear etc for the road tests. The first owner bought it from VW with 9K on the clock and a comprehensive service history for the last few months. Whilst it had been given a bit of stick it had also been very well looked after.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/vol ... r36-estate

Picked it up a few days later and had one hell of a drive on the way back! 300bhp compared to 150bhp was a big difference!

With the car back home it was time for a decent clean... door shuts, petrol cap, wheels etc as it hadn't really been loved as such.

The car is now looking much better, the wheels are in need of a refurb though. The exhausts took an age to get looking good again (they are as good as I can get I think) and the roof rails needed a good polish too.

Plans for this one are as subtle as I can really, want to keep it as close to original as possible as to not ruin what is a bloody lovely, rare motor.

So far I have transferred my number plate and added some LED bulbs in the number plate lights. Ive also added an LED light in the headlining above the boot.

Other plans include:

LED interior lights including Footwell
LED puddle lights in mirrors
LED DRL/Indicator modules
Numberplate surrounds
Remove the tow bar and replace the lower rear spoiler where its been cut
Refurb 18" Omanyts and fit Continental winter tyres I got with the car.
A set of 19" Omanyts would be ideal for summer if I can find some.
A paint correction session at my local detailer to get it looking as good as possible

Well there is my story so far! Hope I haven't bored you all! 8-)

AJ
Last edited by *AJ* on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This topic has 97 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login