B5 Wagon mega low budget tdi, out, B5.5 tdi wagon in

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

G2t
B1
Passat model: B3 Wagon

B5 Wagon mega low budget tdi, out, B5.5 tdi wagon in

Post by G2t »

Well I`ve been lurking around here for a few years, been using b3 and b4 wagons as daylies and workhorses for about 10 years now, never anything really special as they are all used to tow, move parts and generally be practical tools.

a few from the past

preceeded by two silver b3 wagons

@ SantaPod Gti Spring fest years ago

followed by 3 b4 tdi wagons, a b3 td saloon, then this very briefly

Still have it, prob the nicest and yet most broken of my b3`s

Then another (turd of a) b4 tdi wagon, followed by some french un mentionable laguna dti for three years (cheap comfy and never let me down).

Then for the last 2 years my latest and last (for now) b3 wagon, 1 owner from new, various options specced by original owners, inc walnut dash trims, leather wheel, driver and passenger airbags, amongst others. I slapped on some passat winter steels (aka g60 steels) and put some 280mm brakes up front and set it to work.

As I got it

Ready for work

Towing my track car

Car and trailer busy as ever

Always needed more power, but just kept slugging away, had planned a 1z/ahu tdi conversion, even bought a donor car, but recently have been considering something slightly bigger, with more pulling power, smoother, quieter and easier to drive over long distances compared to the coarse aaz (mine was particularly noisey sporting a recon head with some very noisey tappets, it was also down on compression and power, but would not and still has not given up)....

So was browsing the ukp classifieds one sat eve a few weeks ago and saw an ad for a px`d b5 se tdi wagon for mega cheap, wasn`t actually part of the plan, but the b3`s mot was due as was my insurance so if was was going to try out a b5 now was the time, and at a price I couldn`t lose either way.

A few txt`s, a lift to shrewsbury and a train the crewe ish the next day I was driving the 180 miles home in a green se tdi 110 wagon. Down through mid Wales in the dark @ low-mid 50`s to the gallon.

And here it is, nothing special to look at, but pretty tidy, loads of history, recent ish cambelt, a few issues, a grubby and damp interior and the biggest issue of all no towbar, yet!!

Fresh back from a weekend away to treat the gf, and 400 more miles @ 50+mpg on twisty Welsh b roads, to add to its almost 232k

Got to keep it practical, so no proper lows, or sexy rims, just want to iron out the niggles and make some minor improvements.

First on the list is the sodden rear passenger footwell, the search tells me its all too common so will go through the usual suspects.

Both o/s window regs need repair...

Have a towbar to fit, but it arrived minus a couple of bits, so hopefully that`ll get sorted asap.

Want a genuine load liner, but will prob get one of the ebay boot mats for now.

Only came with one key, so got to order a blank haa blade and adapt at least one new (used) remote and transponder chipped key.

Maybe some 5.5 sport springs and some oe passat alloys of some sort,would really like some Merc Adharaz staggered 17`s, but it would need to go low over them to look right and practicailty plus insurance say NO!!

So far though I like it...........
Last edited by G2t on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
F*<k them new model cars we ridin old school!

This topic has 41 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login