Life of my Passat

The virtual show-'n'-shine - show us what you've got, plus some details about it! Feel free to add a pic of yourself so we can put a face to a name!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Jakeyboi987
Passat model: b5.5

Life of my Passat

Post by Jakeyboi987 »

So after seeing the admins at UD they mentioned about doing a build thread so here goes,

My Passat used to belong to Rich00p on here he started a build thread an done a fair few mods
to it ( viewtopic.php?t=4226 )
It was then sold to a mate of mine who remapped it at MRC Tuning an then sold to me. When I
got her she was just starting to need some TLC, I stuck in leather seats an door cards upping the interior, changed the headlining, and started an obsession with stickers.

Unfortunately living in the country side took its toll on the poor car, the ascaris got salt an water
damage slowly wearing the clear coat off, an the lovely wildlife decided they would start committing suicide using the car, after hitting a deer (which ruined the bonnet, wing, headlight.) a pheasant which at speed does considerable damage, a few badgers an rabbits, the car was looking sorry for its self. After a year to add insult to injury, on way to put new wheels on had a accident with another car. :( lucky it was mostly just the drivers wing an bumper that took the blow.

So after restoring as much as I could an changing jobs I kinda lost the love for the car
so she sat for a few months, needing some serious TLC and love. I then bought a Renault an after owning that for 2 months and having nothing but trouble with it (what did I expect hey ) an not able to sell the passat I took the plunge an got her road worthy again by this point I had taking her back to complete standard. Replaced the interior back to cloth, removed the coil overs, wheels everything that I could.

So starting at basics I went to sort all the common issues with the passat b5.5, sorted the drains,
took the complete interior out strip to a bare shell, removed all the puddles in the foot wells check all the electrics sealed up all the holes an knowing issues as described on this forum. after drying out the interior an reinstating it.

I got her MOT ready which didn’t need much thankfully just a rear strut. after driving it around for a few weeks standard an scarring myself I needed to get her back to the floor, with better handling so I refitted the coil overs replacing the rear shocks. doing this gave me the bug back an falling in love again.

First I sorted after finding body parts after looking far an wide managed to replace bonnet, wing, in same colour code, to save a few bob. I wanted the US spec front bumper but having no luck getting one imported I went to my local TPS an ordered one from Germany, cost an arm n leg but when I got it that wasn’t a concern :D all the time looking for new wheels as the ascaris needed a refurb which couldn’t afford at the time and the standard b5 wheels looked tired on it, lucky a mate of mine had a few wheels for sale an managed to get a set of Audi rs6 off him.

Finally I found a local company with a reasonable price to spray my new smooth bumper.

I also did a diy job fitting the US side markers, so everything finally started coming together paint work needed some attention so just after Christmas I invested in a DA machine an set to work, but also had a few issues with car, the air bag light decided to come on which is still being a nuisance an rear passenger door not locking/unlocking an when changing said lock I managed to smash my window, thank god for the tint on it otherwise would of been glass everywhere. so after sourcing a replacement window an fitting with mechanic friend so wouldn’t smash this one I set to work making the paint work look better. which is still an on going project, dam hard paint, wet sanding is planned soon.
After finding a few nice parts for the passat at the scrappy while sourcing window I fitted fog lights an grills, replaced lost screw covers an rear door cards.

while on a training course in royal wootton basset I googled local places who did diamond cutting of wheels, an founds a company in Swindon called platinum wheels, who did diamond cutting refurbishing, after paying them a visit an getting a surprising good quote compare to all other company I tried, I dropped the ascaris cuervos off, week later got these back

After sourcing tyres for them got them on the passat back to her former glory. just in time for Ultimate dubs :)

Two years an its had a few different looks probably more to come. its finally starting to all fall into place but this is it now... hope you enjoyed the write up sure I've missed a fair few bits but il post any new info as it happens.

thanks for looking
Jake

This topic has 16 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login