Centre Caps B5.5

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Blue Velvet
Passat model: B5.5 Estate

Centre Caps B5.5

Post by Blue Velvet »

Hi everybody, first post wasn't sure where to stick it! :shock: (calm down) As you can see I like a lot of people have scabby caps, it's not as prevalent as swine flu and there's no helpline so perhaps this may help or inspire.
This is a little guide on how I tidied up my centre caps on the alloys on my B5.5. it may also be relevant on other models but check you sizes they may not be all the same!
I thought the price of complete caps was a little steep so after a bit of measuring I decided to purchase some 60mm very high quality stickers. I went for a blue background a.) for a change and b.) 'cause me cars blue!
Firstly I had to remove the original centre from the plastic which was fairly easy with a small screwdriver and a little digging around the tab area where you flick the whole cap off the wheel. The oxidisation is caused by the backing being a thin disc of aluminium.
003.JPG
Once you have removed all the old discs from the plastic holder you will need to sand/file/dremel the glue off. I used a sharp penknife and some 100 grade abrasive paper if you are not confident in this get an adult to help you :roll: Once these are all cleaned up remove any excess dust with a wet wipe or washing, but ensure they are thoroughly dry before starting the next step.

As I had new centres made from a soft silicone type plastic the next stage was easy un-peel the new cap and place on the centre mount now all you need is a small modelling knife or similar to trim around the squared off area.
Passat 002.jpg
When you've done all four all that's left to do is put them back on stand back and admire :grin: them.
Passat 003.jpg
The stickers I ordered were from a well known auction site where there is the blue with brushed alloy as pictured, white on blue and the original black and white. Go on you know you want to :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login