Installing Kenwood DNX520VBT

Have a big install or a question about your stereo put it in here .

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Paddy2bsure
B3
Passat model: B6 1.9 TDI SE Wa

Installing Kenwood DNX520VBT

Post by Paddy2bsure »

I need a little bit of help, hopefully someone on here has experience of the Kenwood DNX520VBT, the unit specially designed for VAG cars.

So I bought a used one on Ebay this week, and came 'as it was'. The install itself went fine, and the unit works very well, but I have some questions about what would have come with it if I had bought a brand new boxed unit.

Specifically, the one I bought has a steering wheel interface module (STK-283), there are cables on one side of it, but I didn't get any 'loom' on the other side of it - should there be a single wire out of the other side of it to connect to the 'steering wheel remote' wire coming out of the back of the unit? IE should it look a bit like this (NOT MY PICTURE)

The other question about what should have come out of the box was aerial connections. My car has 2 Fakra connectors, but the aerial connector supplied with the Kenwood unit only had one. Would there also have been a double Fakra connector in the box when new?

Lastly, has anyone rewired the connector loom to have a permanent positive or ignition positive, or just left the unit to work as per the 'out of the box' loom? The installation instructions - despite being a VAG-specific unit - are vague. The boot-up time of 30 seconds-or-so is a major negative so far.

Thanks guys :D
2010 (10) BMW 320d Saloon Efficient Dynamics
2012 (12) Mini Countryman Cooper S 2.0D All4
1983 (A) Porsche 944 2.5

Full VCDS using Ross-Tech Micro CAN-USB in Hertfordshire/North London

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login