Kenwood DNX520VBT Not Working - B6

Have a big install or a question about your stereo put it in here .

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

DaveDRFC
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

Kenwood DNX520VBT Not Working - B6

Post by DaveDRFC »

Hi all,

First post, just bought my first Passat (and first VW) last week. Don't really know too much about them but looking at images online I believe mine is a B6 (08 reg).

Anyway, I bought the car with a Kenwood DNX520VBT installed, but not working correctly. The previous owner said they had it professionally installed, but just lately it had stopped working properly. Basically you can't turn it on, then occasionally it will turn itself on as you are driving, work perfectly for a while, then turn itself off, and you can't get it back on again.

I took it out and had a look at the wiring and it all seems a bit mad, lots of wires not going anywhere and taped up. The biggest mystery to me is that there is a big box in the wiring that I believe is to make the steering wheel audio controls work - but my car doesn't have steering wheel audio controls?? I have been looking online for a new adapter that just goes from the radio to the car without this (seemingly) useless bit of extra wiring but can't find anything.

For now I have just put that standard radio back in, and that works fine, so would indicate there IS a problem in the adapter between car and Kenwood. Happy enough with the standard unit for now but the Kenwood seems a decent bit of kit so would like to get it working if possible!

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and any advice? If I can't work it out myself I'll probably take it to a professional (if anyone knows of a decent car stereo place in or near Doncaster that'd be good too!) as I think it is worth having, just trying to save myself a bit of cash before going down that route.

Thanks!

This topic has 12 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login