B5 Plenum drainage problem now auto gearbox failed

Post all your non car related and general chat in here for us all to have a laugh about !- Topics will be moderated if out of hand/offensive !....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

rogerthat
Passat model: B5

B5 Plenum drainage problem now auto gearbox failed

Post by rogerthat »

Two weeks ago I suffered the well known plenum drain blockage. Rear drivers side foot-well flooded and plenum chamber full of water.
After clearing drains and soaking up as much water as possible I was able to drive the car but lots of condensation (as expected) and auto gearbox solenoid would not release until engine warm.

I realised that it was not changing into top gear during a drive and then I was unable to reverse the car (the gear shift was fine). 10 miles further on I lost all forward gears and had to be recovered to home by the AA.

The AA man thought a gearbox oil refill and filter would do the job but my local garage cannot/will not do this as special tools required.

I have looked through the excellent posts on this flooding problem but cannot find any link to my gearbox problem. In view of the age and value of the car.......

Any help please!

1998 1.8 Auto B5 79000 miles

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login