Fellow mountain bikers

Post all your non car related and general chat in here for us all to have a laugh about !- Topics will be moderated if out of hand/offensive !....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

smithy756
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: b5.5 tdi

Fellow mountain bikers

Post by smithy756 »

I have always enjoyed bike riding nothing to extreme light trails , woods , canals , ect any how after coming of a motor bike a few years ago & hurting my back it's been a slow recovery
I'm now wanting to get out more on the mountain bike with the kids / mrs but with my bike been stuck in the garage for so long the seat post had seized completely , no local shops would even touch so I tried a few things eg heat , clamps , heavy duty vice , drilling , ect I even resorted to asking it nicely with no luck!
I didn't want to strip the bike and use costic soda so I decided to saw of the post which left it looking abit like this
At this point I was tempted to take a massive sledge hammer & bin it but I then found some metal cone drill pieces in the shed
With the seat post being 26.7mm the larger cone stepped to 28 so I grinded it past the 26mm so it wouldn't make the hole bigger then it needed to be
And began drilling I'm not going to lie its took me the best part of the day , eventually it looked like this
Using this
After getting a lot of poo out
The new seat post fit in nice & snug
Which leaves me to my final question what's the best thing to use to prevent seizing ? I wouldn't like to do this again in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by smithy756 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
click here to view build thread : ) http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewto ... =5&t=54045

This topic has 25 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login