Insurance Costs

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: water01, desertstorm, vwnutant

sjdean
B1
Passat model: B6

Insurance Costs

Post by sjdean »

As you may or may not know, I currently have a 2001, 1.8 Petrol Nissan Primera. Been considering going for the 140BHP version 2.0 TDI B6 59 Plate VW Passat.

It has up until yesterday been cheaper to insure the Passat. Now it's sprung backwards as Im getting the following quotes:

For my Primera, Hastings want £550, More Than want £477 and Tesco want £592.

For the Passat, Hastings want £728, More Than want £688 and Tesco want £570.

Im currently with eSure who want £679 for my Primera for the renewal quote. I tried getting another quote online from them, they said £800! Tried the Passat online, and it was £550.

Im really not sure what's going on. My insurance premiums for most places are over £900.... Im 36 with no points on the license, ever. Last accident is when an idiot ran into the side of my car 5 years ago who then faked two witnesses and claimed whiplash and that it was I who drove into the side of him! His fault, he had no insurance, and he dropped the personal injury case as he hadn't a leg to stand on.

There's only a few places that quote me sub-£700. But I certainly wasn't expecting a £200 jump to insure a Passat. Last year, I was being quoted only £58 extra to insure a BMW and marginal difference if not much cheaper to insure the Passat.

Very very confused.

It's like the universe telling me not to buy.

What do you make of this insurance nightmare?

Simon

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login