1 x water pump and 3 x heat exchanger in a year!

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Cheltsmem
still on the production line
Passat model: B8

1 x water pump and 3 x heat exchanger in a year!

Post by Cheltsmem »

Hi all

Hoping you can give me the benefit of your expertise.

I have a 64 reg B8 2L DSG BlueMotion passat and generally love it.

Since June last year I've had numerous problems with the cooling system. In order

Overheats out of the blue and stop driving light comes on. Fair enough. Leave to cool for 10 mins, restart, all fine for another 1K+ miles, inc 1 x 700 mile journey. This then suddenly occurs again and repeats, so quickly take to VW garage. Replace water pump. All fine for a few months.

Oct/Nov suddenly do not drive warning appears due to cooling system fault. Get it to VW garage, replace what they called heat exchanger. All fine for a few months.

Feb, exactly the same as Oct occurs. VW again replace Heat Exchnanger saying 1st replacement must have been faulty.

All fine (including 1000 miles in a week holiday just pre Covid). Covid lock down happens so car not used for 8 weeks. 1st phase relaxation comes in, go to drive car and on first switch on, coolant low warning light appears and stays on. Check coolant level. It's fine. Drive car, does not over heat and maintains standard temp. If after a few miles from cold, stop, switch off engine and restart, coolant low light does not reappear. VW garage shut until mid June!

Managed to book it in this week and guess what, say it's the heat exchanger again and that the coolant is getting contaminated.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this catalogue of problems as VW just seem to be changing the heat exchanger and fixing the root cause.

Any info or suggestions greatly received.

Thanks