:-o Car slammed on and engaged ABS all on it's own :-o

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Icaru5
still on the production line
Passat model: B8

:-o Car slammed on and engaged ABS all on it's own :-o

Post by Icaru5 »

All a bit crazy really ...

I was driving back from the local town centre this afternoon with the wife and 2 young kids. It was wet and I was in a suburban area in very light traffic doing late 20's (mph). All of a sudden, for absolutely no apparent reason that I could see, the car sounded an emergency beeping tone, and displayed the red "imminent collision" warning on the instrument cluster. Now I've seen this many times before when someone is turning in front of me, but I've anticipated their turn and so haven't slowed down, but this time, the car actually slammed on hard, and engaged ABS which brought it to an absolute crawl. This happened whilst my right foot was just resting lightly on the throttle. Fortunately, being a Sunday afternoon, the traffic was very light and the car behind me was a long, long way away. If it had happened in rush-hour traffic, then I've no doubt a collision would have occurred.

I just hope it doesn't happen in the outside lane of the Motorway !

The car's kept clean, no obstructions to any of the sensors, and I really can't think what could have caused this. Maybe if a large leaf had blown in front of the radar sensor or something ???

I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to turn this front radar thingy off !

Anyone else experienced this ?

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login