Go for it!

How to get that better-than-new shine - show us your efforts and discuss techniques. Sponsored by BCP Car Detailing BCP Car Detailing

Moderators: water01, desertstorm, vwnutant

Jingo
B1
Passat model: B6 Estate ('10)

Go for it!

Post by Jingo »

Just thought I would post up my experiences today for anyone else who, like me, is torn as to whether they should dip their toe in to the world of detailing.

As a complete novice (the closest I got previously was washing a car twice to get it clean!) I thought I would make a step change with the new B6 and learn how to do things properly.

I did a LOT of reading in here (thanks everyone!) as well as on the forum at Clean Your Car as well as many many product reviews to try and work out what I did and didn't need, and whether I was going to be able to do it or not.

So, having dropped a not inconsiderable sum of money in CYC's till, the package arrived this morning and the weather played ball, so I got to work.

The B6 got treated to:

Pre-wash rinse
2 bucket wash (DoDo Juice BTBM)
Rinse
Clay bar (Meguiars Quik Clay kit)
Sheet Rinse
Dry
Polish (Sonos SFX-3)
Wax x2 (DoDo Juice Hard Candy)
RainX

All of the above was done by hand and, after the wash and rinse, all done holding my breath!!! :-o

I have to say, it was nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be, and taking my time and concentrating on the job in hand at each stage made it less daunting than worrying about the next stage, and the one after that.

All in all, it took me just under 5 hours (these estates are big, eh?!) and I can't currently lift my arms over my head, but I am delighted with the results.

The light has faded a little bit too much for decent photos sadly, but these give an idea of the shine on her now:

I think it's safe to say I won't be reverting to the old ways again!

If you are thinking about doing it, and are worried about getting it wrong, don't be. Just take your time, do some reading beforehand, and you'll no doubt be pleased with the results. :D

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login