Rear tyre wear

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

Brizzoluk

Rear tyre wear

Post by Brizzoluk » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:29 am

Hello
I have a 2007 passat tdi sport and the tyre wear has always been fine, up until last year.
Last october it went in for mot and was informed one of the rear springs was snapped and a shock needed replacing on the opposite side and one of the rear tyres was badly worn on the inside, which i assumed was due to the broken spring.

So i forked out for new tyres and replaced the springs and shocks on both sides and as the mot is due soon i was looking around the car and noticed that the two rear tyres are both badly worn on the inside!
So i have taken it to a garage this morning to get new tyres fitted (again) and asked the to check the wheel alignment on the back, only to be told that they cant check the rear alignment only the front despite advertising four wheel alignment on the website!

Is this normal with this car that garages cant check the rear alignment?
And if its not the alignment what else can be causing the tyre wear?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this for me..

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.9 AVF Sport

Re: Rear tyre wear

Post by Gazwould » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon 0.34 m-1 blower .

I'd give her some 'trivago' .

jasimog
B4
Passat model: B6 Saloon, BKP

Post by jasimog » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 pm

Brizzoluk wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:29 am
Is this normal with this car that garages cant check the rear alignment?
That's tosh. A 4 wheel align is possible and would solve the inner tyre wear problem. However, the 4 x eccentric bolts used to align the rear can seize in the bushes and need replacing first.

If (guessing from your username) you're in Bristol then I can recommend FCM Wheel Alignment (they have a website), I've taken the Passat there twice now. I replaced the bolts and bushes myself beforehand.
MY06 B6 Saloon SE, BKP. Self fitted: KMB balance shaft, recon turbo, clutch & DMF, Eibach Pro springs, retrofit Autohold.

Brizzoluk

Post by Brizzoluk » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:24 am

That’s great information thanks! I know where that place is, it’s not far from where I live 👍🏻
Is that pretty straightforward to replace the bushes and bolts? I have replaced the rear springs and shocks myself last year and that was a first for me.
Thanks again.

EvanR
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

Post by EvanR » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:16 pm

jasimog wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 pm
I replaced the bolts and bushes myself beforehand.
Which ones did you buy and where did you get them from? Mine need changing... Is there a good way of getting the old ones out or is it just angle grinder and a big hammer and drift?

Thanks!

DMitch16
B7
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Post by DMitch16 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:30 pm

EvanR wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:16 pm
jasimog wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 pm
I replaced the bolts and bushes myself beforehand.
Which ones did you buy and where did you get them from? Mine need changing... Is there a good way of getting the old ones out or is it just angle grinder and a big hammer and drift?

Thanks!
No good way if they are seized and they are likely to be. Reciprocating saw or angle grinder. Inner wishbone bushes (if not replacing the wishbone itself which comes with inners prepressed in) are best replaced with a poly brand of your choice. I fitted Powerflex Black which were £34 for the pair. Had to press the old ones out but the new were split fit so an easy install. Not much point doing the outer ones with poly as they seem to wear far better and stock were only £5 or so each but yet to need replacing. Upper control arms are a sod to cut off and I removed the rear subframe to do his as they are pretty much at the top looking from below. Had T10096 subframe locating pins and painted around the trailing arm mounts before removing. Went back on perfectly. Copper greased bolt shafts for bushes but not concentric washer plates which need friction to hold position.

Edit: bolts from TPS or dealer.
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club