A Forum for R36 Owners

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Crapbag
B1
Passat model: R36 estate

R36 Scrub a dub.

Post by Crapbag »

Hi all.

Ive spent the last few days when time allows to get my newly acquired R36 up to scratch. My aim is to get it to a point that it’s clean and tidy but I don’t get it perfect and become precious over it. As it has to deal with daily life and what kids, dogs and mountain bikes throw at it.

I picked the car up just over a week ago. And to say it was filthy is an understatement. The last owner had clearly “washed” it and hoovered the surface inside. But that’s about it.

So let’s start with some before

So as you can see pretty hanging. First on the agenda was to do battle with the exhaust tips. Now I’m pretty sure that in the life of the car they have never been cleaned as they’re badly pitted. But I did my best with 1st stage being a thorough degreasing, followed by Britemax twins. Using an abrasive drill mounted foam ball on the inside. And 0000 fine wire wool on the outside. I’m not finished with them yet. But for the moment they will do.

So with that done it was onto degreasing and All Purpose Cleaning (APC) all the shuts

Thank fully with a bit of elbow work all the shuts came up aswell as each other. And are a million times better.

Next was to fully decontaminate the paintwork. This was triple stage. Being ferrous fallout removed with Bilt Hamber Korrosol, de-tar with Tardis and clay with a new product to me, Carbon Collective clay pad system. To which I’m pleasantly surprised with and saw zero marring.

As you can see there was plenty of iron fallout. To be honest there wasn’t a great deal of Tar so never took any pics. And likewise not a lot to see with the clay pad so again no pics.

After that lot was done it was time to hand polish with Adams Revive an excellent product and used mainly in this case to prep the paint for the wax. Leaving it naked for the best adhesion. My go to wax for longevity is Fusso Soft 99 Light. Put on in light thin layers it flashes over really quickly and removes with little effort. All in all I’m really happy with the results. And intend to lay down another coat of wax tomorrow. Which should going by previously applied layers of fusso on other cars, give me 8-10 months protection easily.

It’s also worth saying that between stages I 2 bucket washed using Adams shampoo, and dried using my Wooly Mammoth

Next on the agenda is to clean the engine bay and give the interior a good clean. To which I’ll update later.

Thanks for stopping by,

And any questions fire away,

Craig.

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login