Urgent, Urgent, Urgent! Snapped stud on exhaust manifold.

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

alpenweiss2
B3
Passat model: B5 1.9TDI Wagon

Urgent, Urgent, Urgent! Snapped stud on exhaust manifold.

Post by alpenweiss2 »

We live in deepest rural France so most of the time I have to resort to fixing issues on the car myself! We have had some running issues on our 1999 1.9tdi Wagon and I thought the turbo may be gunked up again so decided this afternoon to do the Mr Muscle treatment for the second time.

The car has had the EGR valve removed for a long time with just a blanking plate on the exhaust manifold and the alloy manifold.

Unfortunately when trying to undo one of the nuts holding the blanking plate onto the exhaust manifold I snapped the stud!! Quel catastrophe!!

I didn't use much force on the socket but there you go...it just sheared the stud. The manifold is now blowing quite badly and the outcome is that the car is running in limp mode!!

Being in rural France it is difficult to know what to do?

A French friend who is quite knowledgeable about cars suggested a permanent fix would be to cold weld around the blanking plate and broken stud to seal the gap where the gasses are escaping? I am a bit worried about this because the French CT (MOT equivalent) is becoming very strict and the car may fail on having being modified. I have the original EGR valve to refit it if I can get the broken stud out and also remove the nut on the other stud?

Any thoughts people. Feeling a bit desperate!

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login