Coolant temperature?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Deadcentre
still on the production line

Coolant temperature?

Post by Deadcentre »

Hi Guys,

Quick one. 2005 Passat tdi 130 AWX estate. According to the climatronic menu my coolant temperature tops out a very consistent 78 degrees Celsius irrespective of anything I do. I do not have any of the symptoms of a sender unit failure and am reasonably sure it's a lazy thermostat. The temp gauge sits still bang at the 12 o'clock position. The car is ten years old now with 90k miles on it so I don't begrudge her things like this.

Question is... Is 78 degrees normal / enough (gut feeling says no)? What should the normal temp be? Is there any harm running at what I think is a cooler than normal temp? Is it worth me replacing the thermostat or will any minor savings in fuel never be recovered when compared to the cost etc? If an increase in temp will be more mechanically sympathetic then I'll change it.

Regards

Steve

PS love this forum and have used your knowledge so many times. Keep up the good work!

This topic has 13 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login