Turbo Pipe?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

fullerlee2
still on the production line

Turbo Pipe?

Post by fullerlee2 »

I've got a 2001 1.9 TDI 130.

I'm experiencing what seems to be a leaky turbo system. I feel the turbo up to around 2.5-3k, then it drops to nothing and I basically have no power. If I pull off the throttle a bit I get a slight increase in power. To me, it feels like the turbo is ok until it is at full spool, after which the pressure is too high and is leaking somewhere.

It looks like the previous owner had problems with the undertray and they drilled self tappers into a large rectangular pipe towards the front of the car. I'm sure I've felt and heard air leaking from this and that it's part of the turbo system.

My local mechanic got it up onto a ramp, I showed him where I though the leak was coming from, and he said it's just structural and not meant to be air tight. I'm not a mechanic and couldn't really argue, but I think he's wrong.

Can anyone give any insight into what this pipe is? I can take a pic if neccessary, but it's at the garage at the moment.

Thanks,

Lee

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login