Front suspension springs broken

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

cbbella
still on the production line
Passat model: B6 Bluemotion2

Front suspension springs broken

Post by cbbella »

Hi, I have 2009 B6 Passat estate. In September 2020 I replaced both front springs, only one was broken but I decided to replace both at the same time. I bought them from Autodoc and the make was SACHS.

About 3 months ago I heard something go twang (a noise from underneath) as I went over a speed bump. it sounded like a spring and so i stopped and checked but couldn't see anything broken so I carried on driving and car has behaved as normal.

This Friday gone, 4th November I heard a similar but much louder twang/noise. Again I checked and everything seemed in order and again the car drove as normal.

Yesterday I took my car for MOT and it failed. Reason was both front springs were broken at the bottom coil. When I heard these noises I only done a visual check and carried on driving the car. As it was driving normally I didn't bother to remove the wheels to do a thorough check.

These SACHS springs were what I thought a decent make. They're only 3yrs old and have done less than 8500 miles since fitted and I never go speeding over the bumps. I only ever go over speed bumps between 10-15mph.

My car is booked in to get both springs replaced and a MOT retest next week

The original springs have lasted from 2009-2020 so 11yrs and covered 169k miles.

Surely these SACHS springs should've lasted a lot longer than this.

What are your thoughts
2009 B6 Passat Estate 2.0TDI (81kW/110hp) Bluemotion2 (Engine Code CBDC)

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login