Exhaust manifold gasket, replace or not?

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

DavidJay
Passat model: B6

Exhaust manifold gasket, replace or not?

Post by DavidJay »

I have a loud whooshing air noise, when accelerating, coming from the back of the engine.
Garage suspects the exhaust manifold is leaking and have warned that replacing the gasket could possibly take 3 hours and that studs could break.
The Passat is a 2005 B6 with close to 180k mileage.
I've had it about 10 years, great car, very comfortable and usually drives well with good mpg. Have a fair bit of money in it with lots of things replaced including clutch, turbo, radiator, suspension, etc.
With the 'cost of living' crisis, it's not the best time just yet to upgrade.
Is there anyone out there who can advise me on whether or not it's worth getting the gasket replaced?
The chap at the garage said he hasn't done this job before and he's worried that the rusty studs will break off and make the job a helluva lot more time consuming and expensive.
Thinking about it, I had a refurbished turbo fitted about 7-8 years ago. I'm wondering if the exhaust manifold might have been removed to replace the turbo? So maybe the studs aren't very old, I don't know.
Anyway, I'm interested to know what you guys think so please advise if you can.

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login