Suspension advice

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

J1MMCD
B2
Passat model: B6

Suspension advice

Post by J1MMCD »

When I got my B6 last year it needed a bit of work.
Mainly front suspension, timing belt, service and a few other little niggles.
Oh and the mot was due.

Before I corrected as much as I could I did some cheap suspension on the front and got the mot done. It passed so did the timing belt, a fair amount of the niggly stuff and some bodywork.
There’s still more bodywork required but nothing urgent for now, however the suspension isn’t to my satisfaction.
I got the shocks from Fleabay at £60 a pair, 2 starline top mounts from ECP at £18 each, 2 drop links plus 2 bottom ball joints-can’t remember cost and 2 springs for (wait for it….) £4 each on what looked like a misprice from ECP too. Few days later they were £47 each!!

Also got 2 track rod ends that have never been fitted cos I can’t move the originals (yet) and they were still in the “ok” region.

Anyway they were fine to get through the mot and I do next to nothing mileage per year but I like the B6 and intend keeping and fixing as required.

The front suspension looks to be ok still but I’m not happy with it. I get a clicking noise in reverse for the first few inches from the drivers side and I checked the top mount for play. Got a couple of turns but no change so think I was over tightening.
Now I feel as if my roadholding at speed isn’t right on the drivers side.

End result is I’m thinking of redoing it again from scratch, found a set of coilovers on ECP here https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/jom-susp ... -975449401 But don’t know much about them.

TBH I don’t have any real interest in lowering the car or the hard-as-a-rock type performance, just want a nice, smooth, safe ride.

So after all that <phew> the question is am I better to get something like this , set to a “comfort” position and leave it there or better going the route I did before with better parts?

If the previous route can someone with the knowledge advise what brands etc. would be preferential?
I still have one of my original struts that still has the colour dots on the spring but I don’t know how to decode that.
And I say original, but I have no idea if someone has swapped them out before I got the car.

Soz for the long post but any help or advice will be gratefully received.

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login