Imminent Lift Pump Failure?

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

ShaneB
B3
Passat model: B6

Imminent Lift Pump Failure?

Post by ShaneB »

2010 2.0TDI CR (CBAB) with 153k on it, I did a full service in January including the fuel filter and it had a cambelt, water pump and thermostat in April. Let me down for the first time yesterday in 95000 miles and 6 years of ownership within a mile of home, coasting downhill in traffic, car hiccupped slightly and then cut out all together, everything else working and no warning lights. Car was turning over fine and trying to start but just wouldn't catch.

RAC came out, quick spray of starter fluid up the intake and she came back to life and has been fine since. Ran a full VAGCOM scan last night and nothing logged. Obviously it had been sat outside in the sun yesterday and it was a little toasty but nothing it hasn't seen before. All I can think is the pump had stopped and drained the filter bowl, maybe bumping it up the curb to get it out of the road was enough to kickstart the pump and if I'd primed the pump a few more time it may well have fired up on it's own.

Lifted the carpet under the seat last night and pump can be heard running fine now, was too noisy on the side of the road yesterday to be able to hear unfortunately.

Off on holiday in 10 days so don't really want it failing on the way to the airport, have a complete Pierburg lift pump and sender assembly turning up tomorrow as can't think of what else it could be. Any tips that I need to be aware of when replacing it other than giving the area a bloody good clean before lifting it out, what's the best way to disconnect the fuel lines without breaking anything? May well identify the fuel pump relay as well just in case it plays up again and I can swap it with one of the others if it goes again.

Open to any other suggestions as well.
Volkswagen Passat B5.5 130 Bhp, 1.9 TDI Sport Wagon, Silver Blue Metallic. Sold at 203K (SOLD).
Mistaken dabble with a Civic CDT-i (SOLD)
2010 Volswagen Passat B6 140 Bhp, 2.0 TDI Highline Wagon, Silver Grey Metallic (Written off by a drunk Driver)
2013 Audi A4 Avant SE Technik TDI 177

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login