Post MOT woes

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

DMitch16
B7
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Post MOT woes

Post by DMitch16 »

After a successful MOT in mid March, blowing only 0.38 smoke and having just a few minor advisories I have a small knock which I believe to be a conrod / bearings possibly aggravated due to a failing DMF that I had planned to do in the next few weeks along with high mileage. I have not driven the car since noticing the currently faint knocking.

Here is the main problem - I want to keep the car, period even though we've reached 230k so far. Very clean underneath, maintained religiously and everything still works and still works well. I don't have money to either pay a garage or to buy a replacement car and I know how solid the one I have is. Despite the 3C2 cars being the worst Passats VW ever made, mine has been cured of all the major problems earlier on and until now has run beautifully for many years.

Another issue is that I am a competent DIYer but have had health issues recently that restrict my ability to do longer stints under a car now. It is a big job I realise and ideally best done with engine out for a partial rebuild of all bearings, piston rings etc. It is also due a timing belt, the last change done by me around 4 years ago. Parts alone will hit a few hundred.

Advice on engine removal, rebuilding the bottom end in situ, head removal and any time saving tips would be appreciated as I have not done such on a Tdi before but have got as far as replacing DMFs, renewing balance shafts, changing valve stem and injector seals and a few other bits and bobs. Not done a bottom end before but I will be doing more than that anyway.

I have a secluded drive and about 10% of usable garage space left!

Thanks.
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! 225k blowing 0.05 March 2020