Immobilizer activated after fuse misplaced

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

kfet
still on the production line
Passat model: B5, B6

Immobilizer activated after fuse misplaced

Post by kfet »

Hi,

I've had something draining my battery so yesterday I attempted to locate the cause by removing the positive battery clamp and placing an amp meter between the cable and the battery pole. When connected the current draw would alternate between 0.6 - 0.9A.

Removing and replacing fuses one by one I watched the amp metre to see which ones made a difference. The F4 (Multifunction control module 2 according to online sources) fuse made the biggest impact . If removing and replacing this one the current would drop to 0.2A. Then I pulled out and replaced one of the 5A fuses (quite possibly F11 - Instrumentation control module). Current draw would then sink to 0.01A and stay there. I repeated this several times to be sure. So I'm not sure quite when i misplaced it.... I also found that the auxiliary heater fuse was blown. The auxiliary heater was my prime suspect as it hasn't worked since I started having battery troubles some weeks ago (and needed frequent jump starting). I then replaced the battery and was having trouble free motoring for a couple of weeks until the battery was weak once more. A weekend of standing still seems to drain it.

Soo.. after playing around with the fuses I connected the battery cable again and went to start the car. I immediately noticed that the glow plug lamp was absent. And the fuel gauge was doing a dance, which I've never noticed before. But it fired up, only to die again. Any further attempts would not start it at all. So I pulled out the cheap diagnostic tool and read the following codes (omitting the usual overboost, injector jet and glow plug fault codes):

p1650: Powertrain Data bus: Missing message from instrument cluster
p1570: Engine start blocked by immobilizer
p1880: Powertrain Data bus: Missing message from Diagnostic Gateway
p1699: Powertrain Data bus: Missing message from steering wheel
p1635: Powertrain Data bus: Missing message from A/C controller

Luckily I had taken a photo of the fuse box before I started messing around. So I realised I had put the 5A F11 fuse back into F6 instead. F6 is a "transmission control module" and unused on my car, presumably because it is a manual shift.

So, I put the fuse back to it's correct location (F11) and tried again. And I must admit my memory is a little dim here. Did I try to start straight away or did I clear fault codes first? Anyway.. still no glow plug lamp when I turn ignition on. And the fuel gauge drops down to zero and back up to actual level (80ish %). It starts and runs for a second. Again I get the same fault codes. It got late so I took the campervan to work today.. great to have alternatives!

I have a theory that trying to start it with the F11 fuse in the wrong place (and thus effectively removed) the car thinks I cut some wires and tried to steal it. And now it won't just let me succeed by using a £40 diagnostic tool...? Do I have to tow the car somewhere to have this immobiliser code removed? Or can I try things like a "hard boot" of the ecu. I read that I can remove both battery cables and after 15 seconds hold them together for 10 seconds to erase the memory. Then I should push the ignition to on and (leave the driver's door open) wait 30 secs for the systems to initiate. Is this recommended or will I potentially cause more harm doing this?

See photo of fuse box attached. Help and hints much appreciated!

The car is a 2006 2.0 TDI wagon, BKP engine
Sikringsboks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login