DSG Shifter Swap

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

DangerousDaz
Passat model: B6

DSG Shifter Swap

Post by DangerousDaz »

Hello

I new to the forum and was hoping someone might be able to help.

Would swapping the gear shifter assembly with a good one from a breakers yard cause any issue with the mechatronic system? Is it going to need resetting/coding/programming? Will I need VagCom or VCDS?

Had a bit of an accident in my '08 Passat B6 2.0tdi 16v DSG. While driving a short distance with a long heavy object in the back, I had to brake suddenly and it slid forward and smacked into the gear shifter. It threw up the inevitable errors, broke off a piece of plastic from the mechanism and smashed the little microswitch that detects the park position.

Removed the broken plastic and cleared the faults and it was ok to drive. Thankfully didn't do any damage to the gearbox, it still drives and shifts perfectly, but with the PRNDS flashing all the time it's not in Park.
I bought a shifter assembly from a breakers in really good condition, with the intention of removing the broken bits and replacing them with the parts from the spare one I bought. That sounds like a faff now I see it, it looks like it should be easier to replace the whole unit and cable.

Think I got lucky this wasn't any worse, but I would like to have a go at fixing it. Just need to know if its possible without the diagnostics equipment?

Thanks!