Steering lock fault - round two!

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

timprice
B1
Passat model: B6 2.0 TDI Sport

Steering lock fault - round two!

Post by timprice »

Hi all,

I had the dreaded 'steering lock fault' error message appear on the MFD a few months ago. I replaced the steering lock itself for a brand new part and had it coded in at the VW dealer.

Now the issue has come back! Having done a bit of research, it appears the EEPROM on the CCM module is corrupt. I can clear the fault codes in the Immobiliser module and the car will start with no issues, but it's so frequent now it's a daily occurrence.

VW are wanting £580 for a new CCM and to code it in. My concern is that even if i pay for this to be done, will they not just copy the EEPROM data from the old module to the new one, effectively causing the same problem on the new module?

I've seen there is a way for a 3rd party company to download the EEPROM, find the corruption and then check it against a 'bare / known working' EEPROM and essentially 'repair' it but does anyone on here know where or how i can do this?

Seems such a shame to have to spend such a large amount of money on £1200 worth of car not knowing if it will solve the issue!

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login