Low on power, juddering and lots of smoke

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

quest63
B1
Passat model: B5

Low on power, juddering and lots of smoke

Post by quest63 »

Hi guys I'm making this enquiry on behalf of a friend, she has an 06 diesel estate she needs very much for work. Which was in daily use until very recently for the past four years.

It hasn't started particularly well for a while but has run pretty ok. It has a history of two different injector failures in a four year period. It had them replaced along with the injector loom.

A few days ok its started being intermittently low on power juddering and kicking out huge amounts of smoke.

Its been to a couple of different garages for diagnoses but became worse after the visit to the second garage including smoking more and she now finds it undrivable.

The first garage scanned it and came up with

17669 PD Unit injector cylinder 1 (N240) Regulation range exceeded P1261 short with power intermittent

16786 EGR system excessive flow P0402 short with power intermittent

16485 Mass airflow sensor (G70) implausible signal P0101 short with power intermittent

So the first garage wasn't able to help with a fix or give a coherent explanation of what the problem / fix was and recommended another garage.

The second garage also couldn't give a definitive explanation of a fix due to the intermittent nature of the problem. They think its an injector but also think something else is going on. They recommended another garage who have offered to send the injectors away for testing.

However its days before they can take it in and then a further 2 days to send the injectors away for testing.

So I guess my question is, is there some simple common source to these fault codes? Is there a common known problem that causes these three codes together? what do you guys think the problem is. The lady has limited resources so is worried about whether its even worth the cost of having injectors sent for testing.

Thanks in advance

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login