First Post - EPB issue :(

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Dalo Harkin
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

First Post - EPB issue :(

Post by Dalo Harkin »

Morning all and thank you in advance for any help.

I have inherited a 56 plate Passat (B6 I believe) 2.0 TDI Sport

I have had the car a month or so and the previous owner hadn't driven it for a while as the brakes felt spongy.
When I drove it away there was a LOT of pedal travel before the brakes did anything at all. I was driving down to Kent from Manchester for a wedding so decided it would be a good idea to get the local garage to bleed the brakes which they did and all was well again.

Drove to Kent and back (900 miles with other journeys in Kent) no problems at all and then drove it to and from work for a week (300 miles) then drove to Wales (150 miles) parked up for the night. Came to it the next morning and I got all sorts of errors on the dash, the Green P with the line diagonally through it, the Red exclamation, the EPB button was flashing and it said 'parking brake error' on the dash. After some Googling it was suggested that a good first thing to try was to remove the battery for a while and see if it cleared which it didn't, the next common problem said the EPB switch can go faulty so replaced that, still the same. I am quite handy with a socket set but I know nothing about these cars with it being newer than anything I'm used to.

I did try and move the car and 100% the O/S rear was stuck solid. Car stayed in Wales and was left with a local mechanic to come and have a look, he said that the O/S rear pads were down to the metal so he replaced them (I spoke to the mechanic and he said he manually wound them back, again after Googling I think the correct way is the service mode with VCDS but I guess he didn't have that) he said that the gap in the brakes may need resetting by VW at a cost of around £60 which I haven't done yet as he said they usually do sort themselves out after a few hundred miles.

I went to collect the car but I am still getting the errors on the dash, it makes the 'boinging' noise as I am driving along, the EPB must have disengaged when I drive off because the pads and disks are getting no hotter than normal on the way to work and after driving it back from Wales etc.

A guy at work has a code reader which he paid a lot for (uses it on his racing cars)

The only fault listed is:-
02433 which it said relates to voltage and connections

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login