D1S bulb upgrade

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Crapbag
B1
Passat model: R36 estate

D1S bulb upgrade

Post by Crapbag »

Hi all,

Since buying my car that has the AFS Bi-xenon units, I’ve been deeply disappointed with the light output. The N/S light seemed scattered and the O/S seemed better but with excessive rainbow fringing. And whilst main beam was selected very little differance in light distribution improvement.

So I decided whilst swapping out a leaky rad to take the perfect timing to upgrade the bulbs to some Osram Nightbreaker Laser bulbs. And I’m happy to report that the beam patterns are identiacal now with very clear and distinct cutoffs. And the main beam simply floods the road. So what seemed like a large outlay is far outweighed by the night time confidence in both spotting wildlife early on back roads and good light output onto the road without blinding oncoming drivers.

In summery I would wholeheartedly recommend the upgrade.

It’s worth mentioning that the bulbs removed were Phillips Xenstart. Which from what I can find is the bulb fitted from factory. So there’s a strong chance these bulbs are 9 years old. And we’re well overdue retirement.

Thanks for reading,

Craig.

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login