Replacement Sterio Radio with Sat Nav, Blue Tooth, reversing camera etc

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

tex
Passat model: B6

Replacement Sterio Radio with Sat Nav, Blue Tooth, reversing camera etc

Post by tex » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi everybody,
I 'm brand new to this so if I make any mistakes I apologise now!
I've got a 2.00 litre 2008 B6 VW Passat tdi auto Highline Estate and the sterio radio with sat nav and reversing camera has just gone blank on me. I'm not much on car mechanics unfortunately so I had a friend remove the radio and check it for me. He said there was power getting to the radio (so it wasn't a fuse) but it was still not responding.
My question is......as a VW replacement radio costs a fortune even second hand (cheapest I can find at the moment is £428.00) can I buy from Ebay (costs about £120.00) a NON VW replacement radio with the same features (sat nav and reversing camera etc etc) I had.....and can it be successfully built in so everything works? It looks very similar, but I have today been told by a mechanic friend of mine that the reversing camera from the NON VW radio will have to be built in and replace the VW one already built in. Is that correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Terry

dubber36
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: Amarok Ultimate

Re: Replacement Sterio Radio with Sat Nav, Blue Tooth, reversing camera etc

Post by dubber36 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:01 am

What stereo do you currently have?
2004 V6 TDI gone and replaced with a 2011 TDI Sport DSG which has gone too.

tex

Post by tex » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi dubber36, thanks for getting back to me!
The radio is:
LED SAT NAV TOUCHSREEN MEDIA DISPLAY w/CODE Vw Passat manufacturers part number 1T0035680P
There is the exact one also advertised on Ebay. The Ref No. is NCS1194630...........you can see a photo of it there
Thanks again,
Terry

dubber36
UKPassat's Possie

Post by dubber36 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:09 pm

That's an RNS510. A great radio in its day, but pretty sluggish and outdated now. Personally I'd take the opportunity to getting something aftermarket and up to date. Most new ones will come with DAB too which will future proof it. You will need to check compatibility with the car so that it will work with the CAN BUS to talk to the camara, steering wheel and MFD.

Another alternative is to fit a RNS315, which are usually cheaper, or if you are not fussed about Nav, the RCD510. The RNS315 has bluetooth built in whereas the RCD510 will work with your existing Bluetooth module.

tex

Post by tex » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:56 am

Hi dubber36,
Thanks a lot once again for the info, much appreciated. I must admit this is bloody complicated to get your hands on a similar but updated radio that you KNOW will be compatable and have all the features.
Do you think that either of the two examples below will be compatable?
Thanks in advance,
Terry
1)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7DVD-Player- ... 0005.m1851
2)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK5- ... qty=1#shId

dubber36
UKPassat's Possie

Post by dubber36 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:29 pm

Personally I think they are cheap for a reason.

I would either bite the bullet and get a genuine replacement, or forgo the nav and get something like this. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/09-12-VW-GOL ... 0008.m2219

Rhinopower
B5.5

Post by Rhinopower » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:43 pm

If you are in a budget get a rcd330, a genuine vw unit from China with android auto/carplay

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:27 pm

I use android units now, wouldnt have anything else at 4x the prices!

Good sale prices right now with Black Friday BS :

http://www.xtrons.co.uk

http://www.joyingauto.eu

http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/

Buy UK with warranty, forget ebay and such nonsense.

tex

Post by tex » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:47 am

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I may have made a mistake, (hope not!) but I have decided to risk buying (from Ebay) a
7''DVD Player Car Stereo Radio GPS SAT NAV Camera (to fit VW Passat 2006 2011)......(Ebay item number 323441906740) which I managed to buy in the end for £100 plus postage. It appears to have all I want and apparently is not complicated or difficult to install. I have also been informed I can return it within two weeks if it isn't satisfactory.....so I don't feel that I can lose too much if all goes wrong.
I'll keep the Forum informed how it works out.
Thanks again to all who have responded,
Cheers,
Terry

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:03 pm

tex wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:47 am
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I may have made a mistake, (hope not!) but I have decided to risk buying (from Ebay) a
7''DVD Player Car Stereo Radio GPS SAT NAV Camera (to fit VW Passat 2006 2011)......(Ebay item number 323441906740) which I managed to buy in the end for £100 plus postage. It appears to have all I want and apparently is not complicated or difficult to install. I have also been informed I can return it within two weeks if it isn't satisfactory.....so I don't feel that I can lose too much if all goes wrong.
I'll keep the Forum informed how it works out.
Thanks again to all who have responded,
Cheers,
Terry
In all seriousness, get a refund now!

89forever
still on the production line

Post by 89forever » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:05 am

Before blindly just replacing it, have you ran diagnostics on it?

tex

Post by tex » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi All,
I know I've possibly made an unwise decision and bought a Chinese generic model of the stereo radio unit with all the bells on - and I may well regret it but I've done it now and have got to make the best of it. Well, the unit arrived today and although I can see that the overall build quality is not as solid as the original 'if' it works, it will definitely do. I have got two weeks to return the item if it isn't satisfactory, so I won't lose an arm and a leg, just the postage. But, I hope that it will do and that I can get it working.
I'm certainly no mechanic, especially when it comes to anything to do with electrics so I have to ask - does anyone know if there is any sort of instructional information (booklet or video) available on the internet about installing the unit....the instructions I have got are in CHINESE!
If it is any help to know the exact unit I have - an identical item can be found on Ebay;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7DVD-Player- ... ctupt=true

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially as I will be driving to Austria in the very near future.
Terry