DMF and clutch...done!

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

jasimog
B4
Passat model: B6 Saloon, BKP

DMF and clutch...done!

Post by jasimog »

BKP, 6 speed manual.

Just changed the Dual Mass Flywheel and clutch on the driveway. The original lasted 180k of mainly motorway miles, but the DMF has been rattling at idle for a while and these things never get better by themselves!

Ordered the Sachs complete kit (inc releaser) from Mister Auto and read up on the job first. The method in Haynes is too intrusive (e.g. drop subframe / steering gear) when these steps are not required. So best source of info was YouTube, especially

and
First video shows the whole procedure, the second is not well edited but towards the end shows how the gearbox needs to be manoeuvred to get it out and then back in. Technically not too difficult at all, the only issue (as ever) is dealing with the weight of the gearbox. In particular, getting it back in again takes time, I was lifting it from the top support beam while using a large jack underneath.

My only encountered problem was that the clutch bleed valve was completely corroded up and had to be replaced - the part no. is 1J0 721 468E and costs a scary £30.77 + VAT from the dealer. Ouch. Even worse is that I wanted to replace the O seal in the end of the clutch flexi hose, this only comes as part of a seal kit 1K0 798 741 which is £11.28 + VAT!! All worth it though - the state of the old brake fluid coming out the system when I bled it was just horrendous, waterlogged grey mush.

Anyway, all done and the clutch feels great after a few gentle road tests so far.
MY06 B6 Saloon SE, BKP. Self fitted: KMB balance shaft, recon turbo, clutch & DMF, Eibach Pro springs, cambelt, retrofit Autohold. 200K club.

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login