1.9 diesel BKP - Location of Oil Pressure Switch

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

slowlane
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

1.9 diesel BKP - Location of Oil Pressure Switch

Post by slowlane » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Newbie here, can anyone suggest where the location of the oil pressure switch (sensor?) is on my 1.9 diesel Passat estate 2006?

My low oil pressure light is on and I want to change the switch first in case it is faulty.

I can't seem to see it anywhere so I am guessing it is down below somewhere.

cheers

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.9 AVF Sport

Re: 1.9 diesel BKP - Location of Oil Pressure Switch

Post by Gazwould » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Hoping it's a 1.9 BKC .

If not.... S T O P

If it's a 2.0 BKP with the inferior 77mm hex key oil pump drive , you are just about to kill your turbo and engine .

DO NOT START , DO NOT DRIVE

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon 0.34 m-1 blower .

I'd give her some 'trivago' .

Joe_dolman

Post by Joe_dolman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:33 pm

As long as he engine is not mullered... it’s at the base of the oil filter housing at the front of the engine bay, easier to get to if you remove the air intake pipes from the grill to the filter box. It’s a 24mm spanner to undo but it’s quite fiddly to get it there. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe_dolman

Post by Joe_dolman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Joe_dolman wrote:As long as he engine is not mullered... it’s at the base of the oil filter housing at the front of the engine bay, easier to get to if you remove the air intake pipes from the grill to the filter box. It’s a 24mm spanner to undo but it’s quite fiddly to get it there. Good luck

And as above this is for the 2.0 BKP engine. It’s on the right side

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:35 pm

If 2.0 BKP bit pointless fitting a new oil pressure sensor as more likely it's the infamous 77mm oil pump drive .

You fit a new sensor start it up , it idles and no STOP LOW PRESSURE warning , great it's fixed !

But go up the road get past 2K and it's back on because the stupid low oil pressure warning system is inoperative below 2K and all the time oil is not circulating causing carnage .

slowlane

Post by slowlane » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks for replies.

Yes the 2.0 tdi BKP version.

Yes the oil pressure sensor on right hand side low down below some large black rubber pipes. Once it was "cracked" then it came off with fingers.

New oil pressure sensor back on with same warning after a few meters up the road.

Flushed the engine next and changed oil and filter. All seemed clean with no bits in it, but new sensor just came back on again a few meters up the road.

Next it seems to be this balance shaft and hex issue to look at.

cheers

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Why do people not heed !

I've told you what it is and you continue to run the engine without oil flow ! @-)

slowlane

Post by slowlane » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Yes I know , I was getting different advice from different sources.

I was told to do new sensor and flush out the old oil to see if that cleaned out any blockages before taking on the big jobs.

Only went a few meter up the road and im guessing that the oil pressure is down but no entirely off, so some oil flow.

Anyway onto the balance shaft now.

DMitch16
B6
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Post by DMitch16 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:56 pm

slowlane wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:37 pm
Yes I know , I was getting different advice from different sources.

I was told to do new sensor and flush out the old oil to see if that cleaned out any blockages before taking on the big jobs.

Only went a few meter up the road and im guessing that the oil pressure is down but no entirely off, so some oil flow.

Anyway onto the balance shaft now.
On a B6 Passat the low oil pressure warning is ridiculously low and damage may already be occurring to key components before you even get the warning. We see this frequently so you can be excused for not realising how bad a problem this really is or the consequences of continuing to run the engine. The turbo for instance needs constant oil flow, is the highest point in the oil circuit and suffers first followed by the top end components (cams, lifters etc.) then the bottom end. A tell tale sign of a worn oil pump drive mechanism is a change in the turbo note which may get louder and rougher in the preceding month or two up to an oil pump drive failure. The oil pump drive being a balance shaft with a straight 77mm Allen key inserted into a 12 point hole with the other end of the key inserted in the pump drive hole.
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

slowlane

Post by slowlane » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:23 pm

I have not noted all that cheers.

Just my first time trying anything really mechanical actually, as the quoted cost of the fix from the garage would make car uneconomical to repair.
I tell myself I am using it as a learning experience so that I don't get too frustrated.

Thanks for all the pointers and info.

As per another post I put up I am looking for the torque settings for the BKP , so I have a chance of putting it (oil pump/ balance shaft) all back together. Any links would be great.

cheers.

The previous links by GAZWORLD:

Official instructions .

PD
https://mega.nz/#!ZYIRWCDR!twuoWl4drLuH ... 2xW5E4oyEg

CR
https://mega.nz/#!lRAFGSpK!Ee1iSZwvoxTG ... qaKjhBV8LY

does anyone know which one refers to the BKP engine?

Twincam
B3
Passat model: B5.5, B6

Post by Twincam » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:17 am

The BKP during 2006 was a Pumpe Duse engine, iirc 2009/2010 they went over to Common Rail so yours is a PD.
2001 AWX SE Estate, 2002 AVF Sport Saloon, 2003 AVF Sport Estate, 2006 BKP SE Estate & 2006 BKP Sport Estate