Front strut top bearing

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

dtr
B1
Passat model: B6

Front strut top bearing

Post by dtr » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:28 am

The stupid thing is broken again. I think I am changing them like 2-3 times a year. All it takes is just a generally rough road, nothing special at all. In Cotswolds it is all pretty rough and bumpy. I've tried a few from the Birmingham parts shops, FEBI from EBAY and some other reasonably big names. All were not great. FEBI was certainly the very worst, probably fake.

What would be the recommend ultra heavy-duty copy of this?

If there are upgrade or sports versions I'd be very interested in these as well.
Droplink upgrade was certainly good choice - lasted 12 months and still going strong (normally would replace 4 sets in that time ~x( ).

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Re: Front strut top bearing

Post by Mindriot » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Original oem items, sounds like saving money is costing you too much lol. Theres a lot of poorly made junk on the market.

Personally I always use meyle HD if available, or just Meyle. HD is a heavy duty moniker.

dtr
B1

Post by dtr » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:36 pm

To be honest I was very unimpressed with the OEM struts. Gone in 8k, soft as a jelly from day 5.
They are made by one of the suppliers at the end of the day, not vw themselves.

I checked for hd versions and couldn't find any for top bearing or mount.

One suggestion on golf5 forum was to use Audi TT oem parts there. Stiffer mount and d revision bearing. Any idea of success in Passat? It really feels like it needs to stiffen up a lot in every possible direction

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Yours isnt a problem commonly mentioned. I had a B6 170 SEL Estate which I used meyle, bilstein and eibach on. It had none of the problems you describe, extremely agile and solid.

I tend to do all my own work and I use the same eibach springs, bilstein uprated shocks, meyle HD parts etc on my T5 van which is heavier and much harder on its suspension than a Passat and its done many miles in anger on much worse roads now with little or no ill effects.

I change bottom balljoints and droplinks annually just because, the last set came off with very little wear or deterioration. Topmounts and top bearings are still as good as new after 2+ years.

If you really are having so much bother you need to be investigating far more of the car I reckon.

dtr
B1

Post by dtr » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:00 am

I should just maybe hire a B8 for a good weekend and see if I manage to wreck going through my usual roads, and I'll throw in a quick run to Skye just to be sure.

Next car will be Audi. Q5 and A6 allroad if I can manage. Different suspension. Or a different brand of 4x4.

I have this issue on another VW too, and had same with previous passat b6. I tried all OEM / OE setup, that didn't work so now either all-out mods or different car. I had the car on ebay for a month sadly that didn't get me anywhere and in the meantime this got broken again.

dtr
B1

Post by dtr » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:13 pm

Audi TT RS / A3 RS spec top mounts fit Passats and all Golf-5/6 derived vehicles!!!! Everything is the same except a little stiffer.

That's what just got fitted (FEBI OE because it was dirt cheap as opposed to £150+ Audi parts only bill). I am worried about FEBI bearings but there is probably a better reason why they are failing so fast.

If it lasts at least 10k it is an improvement over standard poo.

Next up we have camber plates. I bet I will go there all the way if that poo doesn't work.