Steering Assist reset.

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

doughall
still on the production line

Steering Assist reset.

Post by doughall » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:43 pm

Hey.
Is there anyone local that can help me reset my power steering assist?
After a battery change a while back, the yellow Power Steering light came on. This year, it'll (probably) fail the MOT..

I've tried all the manual methods.
I'm in Wiltshire..
Thanks in Advance

DMitch16
B6
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Re: Steering Assist reset.

Post by DMitch16 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:32 pm

I take it that you do not have VCDS?

When you find someone prepared to help with VCDS they may not have done the procedure before - it is listed below.

1. If the battery is disconnected, the basic settings for the Steering Angle Sensor G85 are lost. This will typically result in a trouble code 00778 – G85 Steering Angle Sensor Basic Settings lost in ABS.

2. Unlike earlier models with traditional hydraulic power steering systems, this vehicle is equipped with an electro-mechanical power steering system (large electric motor used to help steering vs. fluid).

3. In vehicles equipped with the electro-mechanical power steering, the G85 basic setting needs to be performed in the Steering Assist control module, not the ABS control ­module.

a. If the vehicle is equipped with ESP, the G85 basic setting is still set in the ABS control ­­module.

4. Reset the G85 basic setting as follows:

a. Start the vehicle and turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.

b. Drive a short distance in a straight line on a level surface. Stop with the wheels pointing straight.

c. Leave the engine running and do not move the steering wheel.

d. Select Address Word 44-Steering Assist.

e. Select Function 11-Login or 16-Security Access. Enter a value of 40168.

f. Select Function 04-Basic Settings. Enter Display Group 060. Activate the basic setting. The 1st Display Field should show “OK” when the setting has completed.

g. Select Function 08-Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB). Enter Display Group 007. The first Display Field should show a value between -1.5° and +1.5°.

5. After the G85 has been ­successfully set, the Steering Limit Stop adaptation needs to be performed. Loss of Steering Limit Stop Basic Setting will result in trouble code 02546 – Steering Limit Stop No or Incorrect Basic Setting/Adaptation – being stored.

6. Complete the Steering Limit Stop adaptation as follows:

a. With the engine still running, center the steering wheel and hold it for five seconds.

b. Turn the steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for a second.

c. Turn the steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for a second.

d. Center the steering wheel.

e. Switch the engine and ignition off.

f. Switch the ignition on and wait five ­seconds.

g. The Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn off. If it doesn’t, perform a short test drive.

Tech Tip: If the 02546 fault code does not clear out after the test drive, try repeating the procedure and increase the key cycle times to 30 ­seconds or more.

I am too far away to help with the VCDS but I hope the above can help you once you are able to get access to it.
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

doughall

Post by doughall » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks for the instructions!!
No, I don't have VCDS. I was hoping someone one here might be able to assist for a few beer tokens!
Appreciated...

doughall

Post by doughall » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:04 am

bump