Engine low on power

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Twosides
Passat model: B6

Engine low on power

Post by Twosides »

Hi folks,
My 07 2.0tdi 170 dsg has just suffered the deeded oil pump failure oh and while we are at it lets take the turbo out too problem!!!!
So joy of joys I have had replaced the turbo and oil pump.
I now have a distinct lack of initial power at low revs and then at 3000rpm all hell breaks loose and you get all the power.
Took it back to the guys that did the work and they say all is good.
They said there is probably an injector leaking everso slightly.
They may be right but I have no smoke of any discription out the exhaust.
The guys themselves do only repair and overhaul cambelt failures, oil pump failures, cylinder head refurbs and turbo deaths!
They have the kit to skim cylinders heads the lot.
I was recommended to them by a motor mechanic that sends all his customer engine failures to them.
They seem to be okay as far as I can tell.
Did the wife's Ibiza timing chain and valves disaster all okay.

So I now have checked the available vacuum...all good.
Checked all small vac hoses...all good.
They seem to be connected correctly to the control valves/solenoids on the bulkhead of engine bay.
The new turbo has a new vac boost control arm/actuator (waste gate in old money) fitted and moves to the upper most position on startup/idle.
This I believe to be the max boost position.

So. Here I get stuck. The car pulls like a train at 3000rpm. Assume vacuum and hoses are all good as I have checked these.
When I disconnect each electrical valve/solenoid and run engine I get a fault code lagged or even an door light on dash.
I use OBDeleven by the way.

If I boot it a few times into the high 3000s rpm I will get flashing glow plug error light and this throws up a 'low boost pressure error'.

Is it possible that its something simple and I am missing it????
Or, could a smaller turbo have been fitted in error? Not sure if the 140 tdi engine had a smaller turbo and doubly notbsure if it could be fitted to the 170 TDI by mistake.
All was good before and low down torque would churn/spin the front wheels etc when conditions would permit etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

What I can't tell is if the boost control arm is staying in the full boost position at low revs. I ran car without vac hose attached so the boost would be at lowest boost and the car was only slightly slower perhaps.

Desperate now as pulling out in rush hour traffic means you have to wait for Sunday to arrive before its safe to go !

Cheers all.

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login