hot starting issue

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

scoob1959
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

hot starting issue

Post by scoob1959 »

hi been a while since i posted heard something interesting the other day while chating to some freinds who own VW,s one had a starting issue took a while to start at time and he gave up at times as he didnt think it would start... he had to give the car some gas on the pedal as well to get it to go....when it normaly started first couple of turns when cold he was told by garage it was crank sensor as it showed up on vds as a fault with crank sensor but he had only had it changed along with cam belt and water pump a few weeks before...to me it sounded like the old hot start issue with vw....he sorted as he had been talking to a american mec on the net who had seen this issue before and sorted it ....i asked what was the cure was told this VW had V V T veriable valve timeing and as he had not kept up on the oil change and filters and didnt have a engine flush the valve that is located on the passenger side cylinder head was sticking as the engine oil got hot and bits in the oil contaminated the valve as it was not serviced reg enough and when the oil cooled and oil pressure dropped it was ok but not always as the valve could stick when cold thus throwing the timeing out when trying to start the car he also said even if you do keep the sevice up to date unless you have had a engine flush after you got the car the contaminants left in the engine by the last owner could start the problem..to cut a long story short he had the valve taken and replaced it was told he could clean the old one but he got a new one to be shure ...had engine flushed new filters oil and now no problems starts great he seemed to say as the V V T was throwing the timeing out it came up on the vds as cam sensor fault..it made me think as ive heard of this problem before and people payed hundreds for new belt and cam sensor and still had same problem after...worth thinking about i dont know if this is the cure or just my freinds problem was a one off...

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login