VCDS in Wiltshire anyone? Steering angle sensor

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

Wolfie200
Passat model: B6 SPORT 2.0 TSI

VCDS in Wiltshire anyone? Steering angle sensor

Post by Wolfie200 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:33 pm

Hello people
Recently replaced front and rear springs on my Passat with eibach proline, along with passenger side outer cv boot as this was split, battery went flat as it was off road for a few weeks. On starting the car back up I have the steering warning lamp permanently lit up, using mates snap on solus diagnostic tool I have the usual fault code 0778 steering angle sensor wrong adaptation however this code will not reset, we have gone through the calibration procedure several times, ie full lock one way then the other back straight move forward below 20 kph etc etc but light stays on, also tried carista app pro version but even though it says fault is reset the warning stays on. Steering wheel has not been disturbed only disconnected Left front abs sensor and moved steering to gain access to nuts and bolts. I think the steering angle sensor may need setting up with vcds properly.

Anyone in or near Wiltshire willing to help with VCDS please before I resort to a garage telling me I need a new steering rack or something ??

Many thanks

DMitch16
B6
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Re: VCDS in Wiltshire anyone? Steering angle sensor

Post by DMitch16 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Did you actually drive the car any distance or just tried to statically recalibrate the steering? On battery disconnection and reconnection (no matter how long in between) the steering angle should recalibrate itself within a very short distance and the ECU will also reset other dash warning lights such as the traction control etc. Sometimes static recalibration does not work and a short test drive can remedy this otherwise both steering angle sensor and steering assist will need to be adapted (using VCDS basic settings).
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

Wolfie200

Post by Wolfie200 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi Mitch,
Yes the basic settings have been done ie left right turn etc and driven it 20 odd miles but the light stays on. Think it needs the basic settings activated via VCDS and the 40168 entry code hence my original request for VCDS software.

DMitch16
B6
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Post by DMitch16 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Wolfie200 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:52 pm
Hi Mitch,
Yes the basic settings have been done ie left right turn etc and driven it 20 odd miles but the light stays on. Think it needs the basic settings activated via VCDS and the 40168 entry code hence my original request for VCDS software.
Yes I agree, shame I'm not that close (used to be in Cirencester but now on the South Coast).
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

gtijames
B2
Passat model: B5.5 highline

Post by gtijames » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Where abouts in Wiltshire are you? Might be able to help

Wolfie200

Post by Wolfie200 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi there

I’m in Cricklade which is 7 miles north of Swindon, is that anywhere near you?

To be honest I don’t mind travelling to you, Wiltshire isn’t huge anyway.

Many thanks

doughall
still on the production line

Post by doughall » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Wolfie200 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:45 pm
Hi there

I’m in Cricklade which is 7 miles north of Swindon, is that anywhere near you?

To be honest I don’t mind travelling to you, Wiltshire isn’t huge anyway.

Many thanks
Hey. Sorry to barge an existing thread, but I have the same. After a batt replacement. I'm in Malmesbury.. Can you let me know how many beer tokens it would cost me to have this reset?